Hydrow supports connecting a Heart Rate Monitor by ANT+ for extra feedback during your workout. Use the steps below to add one.
Steps to Pair:
1. Tap on any workout from the main screen of Hydrow to expand the details. The icons below the picture will show you whether Headphones or an HRM are currently connected. Tap on "Heart Rate Monitor" to begin
2. Turn on your ANT+ Heart Rate Monitor and (if applicable) put it into pairing mode.
3. Wait for a device to pop up under "Devices in range". It may or may not say the name of your specific Heart Rate Monitor. (In many cases it will show a device number as pictured below.)
4. Tap Connect to the right side of the device name or number.
5. Wait for pairing to finish. Your HRM will now be listed on the "Currently Connected Section" along with the currently detected Heart Rate if any.
- Heart Rate Monitors which require a PIN to be entered as part of connection (E.g. Most Fitbit Models, etc.) are not compatible with Hydrow. If your HRM is asking you to enter a code during any part of this process, it likely falls into this category.
- An Apple Watch can only be connected as a heart rate monitor with use of a Watch Link accessory.
6. Press the back button in the upper left to return to the workout detail page. It should now show the name of your HRM as connected and the current BPM at the bottom.
7. Start the workout. With your HRM connected, you will now see heart rate stats in the bottom right of the screen during your workout!
NOTE: Heart Rate stats will show up live during your row, but will not be reported on the screen at the end of your row or recorded in your "progress" tab. This functionality may or may not be added in the future.
Now that pairing is complete, your ANT+ HRM should reconnect to Hydrow automatically anytime you log into your profile. If your partner has their own HRM, they can pair it using this process while logged in to their profile. Hydrow will then remember your hardware preferences separately.
We recommend an ANT+ connection for best performance, but if you have a Bluetooth-only HRM you can still connect it using the steps here.