When Choosing a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) for use with Hydrow consider the following:
- Choose a model that can connect via ANT+. - Hydrow supports ANT+ connections and this is the preferred way to pair an HRM. Many HRM's have the option to connect via multiple methods. We do have the ability to pair Bluetooth-only HRMs if need be, but this is not the optimal method.
- Choose the style that you prefer. - HRM's come in several wearable configurations (Chest straps, Armbands, etc.) This is a matter of personal preference and comfort and shouldn't impact compatibility with Hydrow.
- Choose a model that doesn't require PIN entry for setup. - Complicated fitness trackers and Smart Watches will often ask you to put in a code on the phone or other device during pairing. HRM's which require this step is not compatible with Hydrow at this time. If you're not sure, take a look at the Owner's Guide or User Manual for the HRM in question to see whether this is required.
- Choose something simple. - The more complicated and expensive the HRM the more likely that it will have proprietary features that may not be useful with Hydrow. Hydrow works best paired with a straightforward and single-purpose HRM.
List of compatible HRM's
There are a few HRM's that we have tested and confirmed to work well with Hydrow:
We have also heard numerous reports from our users that the following models function correctly with Hydrow:
- Garmin HRM-Dual chest strap
- Scosche Rhythm 24 arm-band
- OTBeat Burn armband
- OTBeat Flex armband
- OTBeat chest strap
- Peloton HRC01 chest strap
- Polar H10 chest-strap
- Whoop Strap 3.0 (Note: requires a separate subscription, Bluetooth Only via Whoop App)
Again this list is certainly not exhaustive and there are many other models out there which will likely work just fine with Hydrow. We will be adding more to this list as we confirm them, so if you have a favorite model that you find works well feel free to let us know!
Which HRM's are incompatible?
We don't have an extensive list here either, but we'll add more as we discover models that don't work.
Most Smart Watches with HRM capability will not work with Hydrow. This includes:
- Apple Watch (though a work-around exists via Watch Link)
- most Fitbit Models
- Many Garmin or Polar devices with a touch screen.
- Any device which requires a PIN number as part of pairing.
The older Polar T-34 does not support BlueTooth or ANT+ will not work with Hydrow.
We have also discovered that the Bose SoundSport Pulse headset will not act as an HRM for Hydrow (although it plays our workout audio just fine.)
Can I use more than one HRM?
Yes. You can pair one HRM per user profile on Hydrow. Hydrow will attempt to reconnect to your preferred HRM whenever you log into your profile!
OK, I have my compatible HRM, How do I connect it?
For steps, see our article on Pairing a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) using ANT+
(For HRMs that operate by Bluetooth only, there is also a legacy article on How to Pair a new Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor - however, we recommend against this method.)