When Choosing a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) for use with Hydrow consider the following:
- Choose a model that can connect via Bluetooth. - Hydrow does not support ANT+ or other connection types. Many HRM's have multiple options for how to connect, just make sure that Bluetooth is among them.
- Choose the style that you prefer. - HRM's come in several wearable configurations (Chest straps, Arm bands, etc.) This is a matter of personal preference and comfort and shouldn't impact compatibility with Hydrow.
- Choose a model that doesn't require PIN entry for setup. - Complicated fitness trackers and Smart Watches will often ask you to put in a code on the phone or other device during pairing. HRM's which require this step are not compatible with Hydrow at this time. If you're not sure, take a look at the Owner's guide or User Manual for the HRM in question to see whether this is required.
- Choose something simple. - The more complicated and expensive a the HRM the more likely that it will have proprietary features that may not be useful with Hydrow. Hydrow works best paired with a straight-forward and single-purpose HRM.
List of compatible HRM's
There are 4 HRM's that we have tested and confirmed to work well with Hydrow.
- Scosche rhythm+
- Wahoo TICKR & TICKR X chest-strap models. (The TICKR FIT arm band is not compatible)
- Polar H7 chest strap
- Polar OH1 arm-band
We have also heard numerous reports from our users that the following models function correctly with Hydrow:
- Scosche Rhythm 24 arm-band
- Polar H10 chest-strap
- Whoop Strap 3.0 (Note: requires a separate subscription)
- Garmin HRM-Dual chest strap
Again this list is certainly not exhaustive and there are many other models out there which will likely work just fine with Hydrow. We will be adding more to this list as we confirm them, so if you have a favorite model that you find works well feel free to let us know!
Which HRM's are incompatible?
We don't have extensive list here either, but we'll add more as we discover models that don't work.
Most Smart Watches with HRM capability will not work with Hydrow. This includes:
- Apple Watch
- most Fitbit Models
- Most Garmin or Polar devices with a touch screen.
- The "TICKER FIT" Armband from Wahoo
- Any device which requires a PIN number as part of pairing.
We have also discovered that the Bose SoundSport Pulse headset will not act as an HRM for Hydrow (although it plays our workout audio just fine.)
Can I use more than one HRM?
Hydrow is limited to only one paired HRM at a time. Attempting to pair and then switch between two different HRMs will not work correctly.
OK, I have my compatible HRM, How do I connect it?
For steps, see our article on: How to Pair a new Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)